Postdoctoral Scholar Opportunities at Scripps Institution of
Oceanography in Atmospheric Science, Geodesy, Geophysics
We invite applications for one or more postdoctoral positions at Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UC San Diego in La Jolla, California, in several major areas of research including Atmospheric Science, Geodesy, and Geophysics. Scripps Institution of Oceanography is one of the oldest, largest, and most important centers for Earth science and marine research in the world. Research at Scripps encompasses physical, chemical, biological, geological, and geophysical studies of the oceans, earth, and atmosphere. Postdoctoral scholars will work with Dr. Jennifer Haase as a research mentor, on a project to study the dynamics of the upper troposphere/lower stratosphere using GPS radio occultation and/or in other areas of mutual research interests.
Candidates with backgrounds in climate modeling, instrumentation, GPS geodesy, and/or radio occultation are welcome to apply. Candidates are required to have completed the PhD degree prior to taking up the appointment and preferably should have received the degree no earlier than January 1, 2012.
Awards are competitive with a major emphasis on potential for independent, creative research. The Postdoc positions are for one year, and award twelve months of salary with a stipend of $48,000-$58,000 plus benefits, depending on experience. An additional year of support may be granted based on relevance to ongoing projects with external support. Appointees are eligible for health insurance through UC San Diego.
Candidate application materials are due by January 30, 2017. Two confidential letters of recommendation are due within two weeks of application submission. Successful candidates preferably will start prior to April 1, 2017.
All applications are to be submitted in a single electronic pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org, following these instructions:
- Name the pdf file lastname_phd-institute.pdf, for example, smith_ucsd.pdf
- A current Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume that includes educational background, work experience, most recent GRE scores, list of publications and level of language proficiency, if any, in Spanish and French as there are opportunities to participate in international collaborations.
- A one-page summary (abstract) of your doctoral dissertation
- A concise statement describing your research interests (two page maximum), in particular, those interests you would like to pursue at Scripps as well as more general career plans and how a postdoctoral position at Scripps would complement your existing experience.
- Contact information for two external referees, including email addresses.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html